Friday 14 September 2018

Book Review: Where Do Camels Belong?


Lythrum salicaria

Invasive species aren’t all bad. Ken Thompson sets out to challenge received thinking on invasive species. His highly readable book certainly succeeded in challenging my preconceptions on the subject.

Where Do Camels Belong? is a special non-fiction book. It intrigued me like a thriller. I couldn’t put it down until I’d finished. You emerge on the last page freed from hype, with a fresh, informed viewpoint.

This book appealed to me on two levels. Firstly, I welcomed the challenge of facts on invasive species with the discussion of different examples. I enjoyed the explosion of exaggerations and myths. Secondly, it inspired me to think figuratively about attitudes to human ‘aliens’ in the current world climate.

We should stop thinking that we can turn the clock back to some pristine, (…) golden age, (…). We should instead focus on getting the best out of our brave new invaded world. (page 223).

The title offers the best example to question our concept of nativeness. Is the answer to Where Do Camels Belong (a), (b), (c) or (d)?


(a)   In the Middle East? Because that what our instinct tells us?
(b)  In North America? Where they evolved but are now extinct?
(c)   In South America? Where they retain their greatest diversity?
(d)  In Australia? Where the world’s only truly wild rather than domesticated dromedaries now occur? (pages 1-2)

Now, apply this animal concept to plants, then people. Looking back, I’m no longer sure whether I was a botanist or a linguist first in childhood. Does it matter to which field I belonged first? The ability to turn an accepted issue on its head due to a dual background is an advantage.

I highly recommend this book. It will open your eyes and challenge you to see the world differently.


Thompson, Ken (2014):
Where Do Camels Belong? Why Invasive Species Aren’t All Bad.
Publisher: Greystone Books



No comments: