Wednesday 5 December 2018

The New Karen Communications Consultancy Blog

Pic of sunlight on holly flowers and prickly leaves


Karen Communications Consultancy Blog

Have you seen the blogs on my new website? The new series is beginning with Christmas blogs on a botanical theme, having recently completed my MSc in Plant Diversity. The plants have been deliberately chosen to show the diversity of the world's plants rather than merely repeat the standard range of Advent plant choices.

As well as showcasing the beauty of plants, my content strategy also highlights some of the serious topics on plants this Christmas. For example, climate change and plant blindness are very much to the fore this December.

Link to the blog with details of some of the individual content below:
https://karencommunicationsconsultancy.wordpress.com 

2018 Botanical Advent Blogs

Links to the first five posts on my new blog and venture for Karen Communications Consultancy are below:

Holly for all Seasons

Common or European Holly, Ilex aquifolium

Holly often only gets noticed at Christmas.
Gardeners and missing berries.
Holly works hard all year supporting local biodiversity.

Rehabilitating a Rotten Fruit

Common Medlar, Mespilus germanica

A unique fruit that is eaten 'rotten'.
Winter fruit valued in past, now out of fashion.
Does it have local potential due to climate change?
Shakespearean tale of mistaken identity, origin and unexpected new sibling.


Mahonia for Winter Sunshine

Oregon Grape, Mahonia aquifolium and other Mahonia species

Botanical classification, winter colour and fruits.
Value as a medicinal plant in both Chinese and Western medicine.
A Christmas Aspen Tale

(European) Aspen, Populus tremula

British folklore and botanical details on the quivering Aspen.
Native species as opposed to the North American Aspen, Populus tremuloides.
Fragrant Winter Daphne 

Daphne genus with a particular focus on Daphne bholua.
Valued for its fragrance and beautiful winter colour range.
Protected medicinal and poisonous plant.
Discussion of climate response, plant blindness, labelling, etc.






The new website is still in development. Feedback is welcome on what works and what needs improvement. What features do you like? What information or services would you like to see?

In the meantime, enjoy the approach to the Festive Season.

Best wishes for the end of 2018 and a great 2019.
Karen


NB:
Clarifying my Surname
I prefer to just be called Karen by everyone. I tend to write in my maiden name of Andrews. Netto remains my legal name. My apologies if this causes digital confusion. I am one and the same person. I've put both surnames together for the time being on the new blog.

There's an Australian MP who shares my first name and maiden name and it's hard to compete digitally with her. Netto seems to send everyone to the wrong country and language combination. It's a Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese name in origin, but most French speakers think it makes me Italian. I am 100% British with a lot of Welsh and English ancestry, some Scottish ancestry and one great-grandmother who was born in Jersey.

I'm pleased to be one of that rare British species who loves other countries' languages. I speak, write and translate French. I also have varying fluency levels and understanding of German, Italian and Spanish.



No comments: